2/05/2011

Super Bowl Pizza or Socca or Sourdough Flatbread, Hurray!

This is my latest pizza and, OF COURSE, I happen to think the best.  I've posted about Mark Bittman's Easy Flatbread recipe before, and this is another adaptation.  It has the benefit of using up some of that ubiquitous sourdough starter as well.  You should try keeping one of those pets for awhile.  Seriously, I am quite fond of my starter.  Her name is Genevieve, and she is past 200 years old.  Really.  A truly ancient babe. So, even though she has elements of gluten, I think we'll keep her. But, those of you who want this totally gluten-free, just follow the strict Bittman directions. 


I love pizza.  Bob is not all that crazy about it, so I occasionally have it for lunch.  When he's not around.  However, as he has been hinting about dips, appetizers, etc. for SUPER BOWL, maybe this will be for the rest of us?  That's a sprinkling of the fabulous, absolute best cheddar cheese on top.  Cougar Gold from Washington State University.  Very kindly sent to us by Bob's Uncle Johnny.  Thank you Uncle Johnny.  It is sooooo good.  And, a portion of the proceeds from their sales go toward the educational support of Food Science students.  Yea!  I'm all for that.  And, Go Cows!  They do a lot of the work, should get some credit.     

A crust where the flavors of the grains involved come through just a bit.  Not overpowering.  I used equal parts sourdough starter, corn flour and chickpea flour (besan).  If you don't have sourdough starter, then you're with Bittman on this.  He doesn't use it either.   I have made some changes to the one I posted last (above link).  Make two and vary the toppings.  Then, slice and serve as pupus (Hawaiian for appetizers).

Easy Whole Grain Flatbread

from Food Matters by Mark Bittman

1 cup whole grain flour (I used 1/3 cup corn flour, 1/3 cup chickpea flour and 1/3 cup sourdough starter) for Socca or farinata, use all chickpea (besan) flour and lots of black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 onion, thinly sliced (optional)
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves (optional - but very nice)
1 1/2 cups water (if using starter, reduce this to 1 cup, approximately)

1.  Put the flours into a bowl with the salt and slowly add the water (and starter if using), whisking to eliminate lumps.  Cover with a towel and set aside while your oven heats up.  Or, better yet, do this in the morning and let it sit (up to 12 hours).  The batter should be like thin pancake batter.


As you will notice, I was reading this "thick" pancake batter, so I didn't use all the water.  Mistake.  The resulting crust was thicker and softer than last time.


2. When ready to bake, and your oven is at 450F, put the oil into a 12-inch rimmed pizza pan or a skillet, with the onions and rosemary, if using.  Let that heat up nicely, but not smoking.  Just a few minutes.  You'll just start to smell it.


3,  Now remove the hot pan,  pour your batter into the skillet and return to the oven.  Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until well browned, firm and crisp around the edges.  While it is baking your home will be filled with the amazing scent of bread, rosemary and caramelizing onions.  Oh boy.


Finally, arrange your pizza toppings on it (veggies sliced thinly) after swiping with a smear of tomato sauce or, as I did some olive paste, and stick it under the broiler until everything is hot and bubbly.  Let the pizza rest a few minutes before sliding it onto your serving plate.


This flatbread pizza crust has a lot going for it.  The caramelized onion on the bottom with the taste of rosemary just coming through, and the crispy edged crust, softer in the middle, with corn and bean flavor notes.  Just lovely, dears.  We'll be linking up with the Tackling Bittman crowd as well as Hearth and Soul Blog Hop this week.  Some wonderful recipe exchanges.  

9 comments:

Swathi said...

Sourdough flatbread and super bowl pizza looks delicious.

Couscous & Consciousness said...

Wow - that is a really intriguing pizza base - love the idea of sourdough starter and chickpea flour. I really need to try this :-)

Thanks so much for sharing at Tackling Bittman Recipe Hop - I hope you'll join in again next month.

Sue :-)

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

Would you make me one and send it over. Yummy.

I want to thank you for your regular contributions to My Meatless Mondays and Let's Do Brunch. I appreciate every contribution and you have the best recipes.

Joanne said...

I love flatbread pizzas...the dough is so thick and delicious! The toppings on this are wonderful.

Heather S-G said...

200 years!? That's fantastic!! I just started phase one of my very first (and last, right) starter! I'm so excited =) Thanks so much for sharing this gorgeous flatbread pizza w/ the hearth and soul hop this week!

a moderate life said...

Hi Claudia! I WISH I was where you are now! It is sooooo cold here on this other island! LOL What a lovely thing! I do love to make pizza but sometimes making a full crust is too much. I have a starter that is a year old, but 200? wow. I love that things like that can be true! I also love that you shared this with the hearth and soul hop AND you tackled bittman! Thanks on both counts! all the best! Alex

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

The sourdough flatbread makes for an interesting and I bet tasty base for the pizza. The whole pizza is calling my name. Thanks for linking this to Tackling Bittman.

A new one is coming up Thursday, if you have a recipe, you would like to share. Thanks.

Shu Han said...

Great sourdough idea! I can't wait to try this!

Goldchip said...

Made this tonight as an onion flatbread. I am building up a new starter so have lots of discard to use. I used 1 cup sourdough starter, 1/2 cup chickpea flour, 2 T oil, a wee bit of water, baked it for 20 minutes in a pre-heated at 450-degree cast iron skillet, then added rosemary and carmelized onions that I had on hand. It was absolutely delicious! Thank you so much for opening a whole new avenue for sourdough discard!